Thursday, November 13, 2008

Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats


Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments.
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

-Sonnet 116, William Shakespear


I wanted to write something eloquent and impassioned to argue against Proposition 8. But what could I contribute to the arguments I have heard this week? I know I only cast one ballot in the last election and didn't really volunteer or anything but I was really proud to help elect Barack Obama as president. I know the two issues are not really related; I don't live in California (for starters). But my new-found pride of being American was tempered when I heard about California's decision.

Briefly, this is what I believe:
1. Allowing two people to stand before each other and profess their love and union affects those two people, not anyone else.

2. Banning marriage based on something as arbitrary as the physical sex of the participants undermines EVERYONE'S marriage.

3. Allowing or banning gay marriage is not a religious issue. It's about civil rights. (And I will stand up for your civil rights when they are threatened too.)


Thus I am going to protest Prop. 8 on Saturday in Chicago. I hope that I will be joined by many, many people. And I hope that together we can make a difference.

I'd like to make a sign for the protest. Possibly like the one in the middle. Possibly the one on the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CELEBRATE LOVE NOT H8


....hipster.